It’s been a stressful couple of years. The anxiety and stress induced by rising inflation and housing costs (not to mention all the additional screen time) have taken a toll on everyone’s well-being. People of all ages are investing in self-care and developing skincare routines for mental and physical wellness and specifically skin health. The eye contour has always been prone to wrinkles, dryness, and hyperpigmentation since the skin here is super thin. As it is one of the first areas to start showing signs of aging, it requires more attention and care earlier. Skincare treatments for the eye area are curated for strengthening and plumping the thin skin around the eyes and use an assortment of ingredients to target multiple signs of aging. So if you’re looking for the best eye cream for your twenties lets get into it.
WHY DO I NEED AN EYE CREAM NOW, I’M IN MY TWENTIES?
Makeup and Skincare guru Nam Vo swears by her philosophy of “Fix it before it’s broken.” Skincare routines can be preventative or restorative, depending on the skin’s concern. Some of you may notice the appearance of fine lines or dark circles and are looking for ways to improve the appearance of skin around the eyes. Rather than being excessive in your 20s, think of eye cream as the first place that the signs of aging start showing, so in reality, it can be considered a smart decision. Also, if you’re still dealing with hormonal imbalances and prone to oiliness, you might not want to put on a heavy cream all over your face -b just saying (a little gentle convincing never hurt anyone).
16+ BEST EYE CREAMS FOR THE 20S
Below find the 16+ best eye creams for your 20s that help support preventative measures against the signs of aging.
EltaMd Renew Eye Gel $57
Clinically proven to help reduce the appearance of under-eye puffiness, dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles, this treatment uses peptides, hyaluronic acid, and natural extracts to improve skin quality and health. The oil-free formula makes it suitable for all skin types and helps restore suppleness in the skin. The gel formula also wears well under makeup.
NEOSTRATA Restore PHA Eye Cream $54
Polyhydroxy acids are known to improve skin texture and strength, as well as restore the skin’s moisture barrier. This product uses PHA and Gluconolactone to restore skin resiliency and firmness and consequently targets fine lines, wrinkles and tired-looking skin around the eyes. Stressed, dehydrated skin will benefit from ingredients like nourishing oils and hyaluronic acid, which amplify hydration.
Drunk Elephant Shaba Complex Firming Eye Serum $60
The Shaba complex firming eye serum targets fine lines, sun damage and wrinkles around the eye. seeking to renew firmness and elasticity. This serum uses Edelweiss Meristem Cell Culture and copper peptides to support and repair damaged collagen and Black Tea Ferment to smooth skin roughness. Although priced on the higher side, the product is long lasting and the airless packaging is designed to maintain the stability and life of the product. Drunk Elephant products are a favourite amongst those with sensitive skin as it is free of silicones, essential oils, fragrance, and alcohol.
Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Eye Treatment $50
Juice Beauty has a cult following and is extremely popular amongst those who look for naturally derived, organic skincare formulations. This gel eye cream contains an infusion of essential fatty acids and vitamins to form a potion of antioxidant-rich botanical juices. The eye treatment noticeably diminishes the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, in addition to improving skin tone and hyperpigmentation. The Stem Cellular line in Juice beauty is a perfect example of clean beauty making their mark in anti-ageing skincare and can definitely be used to target advanced signs of early aging.
100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream $29
Coffee can be used to wake your eyes up too! The caffeine in this product increases blood circulation to de-puff and reduce dark circles underneath your eyes. This cream also hosts vitamins and anti-oxidants to awaken the eye area while rosehip oil and Aloe Leaf juice nourish the skin. This is ideal if you’re looking for that instant, rejuvenated look!
Pai Skincare Feather Canyon Eye Cream $54
The star ingredient here is the fatty acid-rich echium which smoothens the look of fine lines and provides a silky finish to the skin. Argan oil along with other botanical oils and extracts, adds extra hydration and nourishment. This gentle eye cream is great with sensitive skin and works well for anyone struggling with discoloration or even milia.
Dr Hauschka Daily Hydrating Eye Cream $55
Dr. Hauschka’s daily hydrating eye cream revitalizes, calms, and smoothens the fragile skin in the eye contour. Long-lasting and ideal for sensitive skin, this product can be used to prep the under-eye area before applying makeup. The moisture-rich formulation uses rose distillate, calendula, avocado, macadamia nut, and sea buckthorn oils to improve the texture of stressed skin around the eyes. Dr. Hauschka’s skincare line has a great number of fans, actresses Julia Roberts and Marie Louise Parker included!
Maya Chia The Eye Achiever $70
This serum is delivered via ultra-cooling roller ball and can be massaged into the skin all around the eye. Ingredients include nutrient-dense astaxanthin, sea fennel, sea lavender, wakame, and algae. This product is known for its serum/oil consistency due to the presence of botanical oils in the formula. These oils refresh the eye’s appearance and nourishes the skin, giving it a youthful elasticity.
Goldfaden MD Bright Eyes – Dark Circle Radiance Concentrate $55
A brightening eye cream that treats under-eye darkness, pufﬁness, and ﬁne lines to restore a youthful appearance, Goldfaden MD Bright Eyes absorbs easily and illuminates the under-eye area. This product is formulated with soy peptide, rice bran extract, organic red tea, and arnica, ingredients that work together to tend to de-puffing & brighten the skin around the eye. Popular in the industry for improving firmness around the eye, this cream can help reduce the appearance of early aging and makes sense to use in your late twenties.
Tata Harper Restorative Eye creme $130
Created to tackle puffiness, fine lines & dryness, the Restorative Eye creme uses botanical extracts Lauded for its heavenly scent, this decadent treatment boasts of many natural ingredients derived from aloe, gotu kola, arnica, daffodil, and calendula. The fact that it can be worn under makeup and adds a glow look overall is an added bonus. It has been proven to treat multiple signs of ageing around the eyes and we recommend this product to anyone looking to restore youthfulness to their skin in their late twenties.
Sunday Riley 5 Stars Retinol + Niacinamide Eye Serum $65
Sunday Riley introduces us to a blend of bio active centella asiatica, retinoid complex, poppy seed extract and ceramides to create a serum that repairs and nurtures the skin barrier. Bio active centella asiatica has a history of being used as anti-ageing remedy in Ayurvedic skincare. The ingredients have been formulated to soften the look of fine lines, wrinkles and dark circles and this serum makes an excellent addition to your skincare routine in your late twenties. This vegan product is perfect for sensitive and allergy prone skin as it is free of parabens, sulphates, gluten, soy and fragrance.
Dr Dennis Gross Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Triple Correction Eye Serum $69
Formulated using retinol, bakuchiol, rambutan, and ferulic acid, this multi-tasking product remains a favourite amongst skincare consultants in the beauty industry. The serum has been made safe to use on eyelids and visibly lifts, smoothens, and hydrates the eye area. The powerful ingredients in this product specifically targets wrinkles, photo damage and fine lines and helps boosts collagen production for a youthful suppleness.This works as an efficient solution for those showing visible signs of aging in your late twenties.
Dermalogica Age Reversal Eye Complex $75
This eye cream uses micro-encapsulated retinol to allow maximum product absorption into the skin. Retinol, niacinamide, vitamin C, powerful peptides, and botanical extracts form a potent blend of ingredients, targeting multiple signs of skin aging around the eyes. This product is suitable for those who are starting out on retinol-based eye treatments. Dermalogica is a vegan brand that focuses on offering professional-grade skincare free of glutens and parabens.
HydroPeptide Eye Authority $79
This luxurious cream uses plankton extract and crushed pearl to instantly brighten and improve luminosity & clarity around the eyes. Dedicated to reducing the look of expression lines, wrinkles, and puffiness, the Hydropeptide Eye Authority cream is the only eye product to use 7 differe
nt peptides and 10 antioxidants in this unique formulation.This product is cruelty-free and is ideal for those who are looking to minimise visible signs of tiredness and aging.
Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydrating Eye Gel $46
Peter Thomas Roth’s fan-favorite eye gel combines 50% Hyaluronic Acid, with the ultra moisturizing Pentavitin & copper-rich Malachite extract known for its antioxidant rich properties. The light-weight formula boosts hydration levels without leaving the under-eye area greasy. Other key benefits of the hyrdrating eye gel includes its ability to target dark circles & visibly diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Biossance Squalane Peptide Eye Gel $54
Vegan and cruelty-free, Biossance promises a visible improvement in the appearance of fine lines and puffiness with the Squalene Peptide eye Gel. Gently enough to be used as both a day and a night cream, this ultra-hydrating, peptide-rich formula uses sugarcane derived squalene and caffeine to lock in essential moisture and reduce the appearance of fine lines. The product is long-lasting and weightless and instantly revitalises the eye area, giving your eyes a well-rested look.
BEST INGREDIENTS IN EYE CREAMS FOR THE TWENTIES
Below we cover the best ingredients to target the signs of aging that are most common in your early 20s.
INGREDIENTS THAT HELP CALM, DEPUFF & STRENGTHEN
- Peptides are proteins that help the skin boost collagen production, effectively restoring the ‘building blocks’ of the skin barrier. Copper peptides, Matrixyl (Palmitoyl-Pentapeptide 3 and Matrxyl 3000 are a few peptides to keep our eyes on.
- Caffeine is used to ‘awaken’ the eyes.Green Tea and Coffee are usually the main sources of the caffeine used in skincare. This ingredient is used to de-puff and wake the eyes up more for that revitalised look.
- Botanical extracts like Aloe, Cucumber, or Chamomile (to name a few). Some of these extracts are meant to calm and soothe the skin around our eyes. This additional nourishment adds a youthful suppleness to the area around the eye.
INGREDIENTS THAT HYDRATE
- Humectants like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, help draw in moisture into the skin from the air or help the skin retain moisture.
- Oils like Squalane, Argan oil, or Rosehip seed oil are packed with essential fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants.
- Ceramides are important for retaining the skin’s moisture barrier and are naturally occurring within our skin cells. Skincare uses ceramides to replenish those that age and sun damage have depleted within our skin, in order to firm and plump the skin.
- Vitamins like Panthenol or Pathenoic Acid and Vitamin E condition and moisturize the skin.
INGREDIENTS THAT FIGHT DULLNESS & PIGMENTATION ISSUES
- Niacinamide can be used to restore elasticity around the eyes and is primarily hailed for its ability to lighten or fade pigmentation. It interferes with the process in which pigment travels to the skin surface and is used to treat conditions of hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin C is used in skin care for its anti-aging effects. It brightens and evens out skin tone and while it is very unstable in the presence of oxygen and water, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate and tetra-isopalmitoyl ascorbic acid are its more stable forms.
- Vitamin K is becoming popular in skincare for targeting dark circles.
- Natural extracts and acids like Bearberry (Arbutin) and Mulberry Root aid brightening efforts while Licorice Root Extract and Kojic Acid are more powerful ingredients, and actually inhibit melanin production.
INGREDIENTS THAT TARGET FINE LINES & WRINKLES
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) like glycolic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid are used to exfoliate and smoothen the surface of the skin. As a consequence, this improves skin texture and diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Retinols are the anti-aging ingredient hailed by most dermatologists and skincare experts. Stimulating cell repair and regeneration, this ingredient additionally neutralizes free radicals and diminishes pigment production.
- Plant based Retinol alternatives, Bakuchiol and new kid on the block Bidens Pilosa are plant-based alternatives which have similar properties to Retinol in their ability to boost cell turnover and encourage collagen growth. These products can be used on sensitive skin and are safe to use during pregnancy (unlike Retinol or other Vitamin A derivatives).
We often take the skin’s ability to heal for granted when we’re young and hopefully we grow cognisant of how we can care for our skin in our 20s.
Skincare philosophies range from ‘less is more’ to ‘skincare whore’ and wherever you may fall in that range, the most important thing is to take care of your natural skin barrier. The skin is the largest organ and the most exposed, so it’s important to be kind to it-And whether you choose to embrace the natural ageing process or seek treatment we say, more power to those who are comfortable in their own skin.