The lack of racial diversity within media, fashion and beauty has only recently become a topic of the mainstream conversation. Although steps are being taken to improve representation we wonder if this is just a fad or demonstrative of more permanent change.
In a bid to not only improve visibility on the issue but also help contribute to the raising costs of higher education The Youthist (www.theyouthist.com) has created a scholarship program. If you’re a high school senior, undergraduate, or graduate student who is passionate about racial diversity, then this is the scholarship for you.
Amount Awarded: $1,000
How Often Does the Scholarship Happen: 1-time for each calendar year.
HOW TO APPLY
We’re asking college students (or soon to be college students) to share their perspective on racial diversity and its importance specifically within the beauty and fashion industries. To apply complete and submit the below online application (just after the questions & concerns section) by the next yearly deadline (11:59pm PST on December 31st, 2020).
We are asking students to submit a 1000 word (maximum) essay that addresses the below questions:
- Why is increased racial diversity important in beauty and fashion?
- What impact does this have on society especially in relation to young people?
Looking for inspiration? Check out our article on the state of racial diversity in the beauty industry.
- Applicants must be U.S permanent residents or citizens
- Must be a graduating high school senior (in their final semester) or current college undergraduate or graduate student studying at a 4-year, 2-year, vocational, or technical institution in the United States.
- Applicants must be planning to or already currently pursuing a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution.
SELECTION & NOTIFICATION
- The winning scholarship submission will be selected based on the creativity, originality, and quality of their submission.
- The Scholarship Winner will be notified by email within one month of the deadline and will be asked to provide a copy of their official transcript and proof of current college enrollment and/or college acceptance before the scholarship is transferred.
- A $1,000 check will be sent to the winner’s academic institution in their name and the name of their college/university (depending on the school’s requirements).
- If the winner selected does not claim their scholarship award through responding to our initial email communication within two weeks of being contacted, we will select an alternate winner.
QUESTIONS & CONCERNS
Feel free to contact us with any questions by emailing [email protected].
SCHOLARSHIP SUBMISSION FORM
WHO WE ARE
The Youthist was launched with the aim of providing in-depth content on beauty and skincare. Our platform has coverage on topics ranging from the best vitamins for skin, the best blackhead removal tools, the importance of humidifiers for skin and even airbrush makeup.
As we’ve grown we’ve realized the responsibility we have as a media outlet and therefore have increased our coverage on more ethical content including organic eyeliner and the best of vegan skincare for the face.